International Year of Forests 2011
The WWF produces annually more than 300 conservation projects dedicated entirely to forests in 65 countries worldwide. Conserve forest ecosystems means to save a unique biodiversity and ensuring the life of local communities.
Forests are an integral part of global sustainable development: the economic activities related to forests affect the livelihoods of 1 billion 600 million people around the world are a source of socio-cultural benefits, and, as ecosystems, Forests play a key role in alleviating the effects of climate change.
The United Nations declared 2011 International Year of Forests with the aim of spreading awareness and global action for the management, conservation and sustainable development of forests worldwide.
For years, WWF internationally collaborates with the business community in order to:
- Promote transparency in the timber market;
- Address the problem of illegal cutting;
- Monitor and reduce activities that impact on forests, particularly in regions with a high value for biodiversity conservation;
- Promote certification in order to improve the sustainable management and the purchase of forest products;
- Rise awareness on the issues of sustainable management of forest resources.
For the International Year of Forests, WWF has therefore asked its partners, whose business is related to the management of forest resources, to support the protection of the forests with concrete commitments
Vasto Legno supports WWF activities ant tools aimed to rise public awareness ,such as the on line platform “Imprese per le Foreste” and the publication of studies on forest management and conservation.